Thursday, October 27, 2011

PLN's - Do you have one?

Tricia de G - innovative pedagogy
 

In this era of super-speed internet connections, smart phones and tablet computers it seems only fitting that teachers should adopt pedagogy that takes advantage of these phenomena. Richardson as cited in Schwelik (2011, Para. 1) informs us that the term “Personal Learning Network” is used to describe a group of people that you choose to share information and experiences with as part of a global community. He also contends that these Networks help us to learn through affording us more opportunities for reflection. Digital Technology has enabled students and teachers alike to connect with more information each day than was ever even imagined 30 years ago. Modern technological innovations not only enable teachers to connect to a dynamic range of different resources, ideas and attitudes but also to connect easily with each other. Teachers who are networked have more opportunities to gather resources and knowledge about teaching and learning that will be beneficial to their students.

Personal Learning Networks are basically just the formalised translation of how teachers have always operated. In the past, the members of your network could have been family members, workmates or even acquaintances working in a related field. Most teachers, generally out of necessity, become outstanding networkers - supporting parents, students, members of staff and often teachers in the local area. These networks have allowed for the sharing  of ideas, opinions and various other forms of support. Teachers currently have greater opportunity to network than ever before as they are no longer shackled by factors such as distance, time and expense. Teacher Personal Learning Networks today have literally grown to global proportions.  The internet and the connectivity that it affords to all members of the community have enabled teachers to network with other educators around the world with just the click of a few buttons.  I have been working at developing my own Personal Learning Network (PLN) for a few months now and think I am ready to try and encourage other members of my teaching staff to also begin to organise their network more formally. It seems to me that if I can demonstrate to my peers the advantages of being networked in this way - we will all benefit. I have already asked at my school if I can promote PLN’s at our staff meetings as I see this as an important step for me in developing an effective and steadily growing PLN.

Tanya Roscorla, the editor of Converge, an online education technology magazine has briefly outlined below 5 of thebenefits for educators who create a PLN (Personal Learning Network).   

PLN’s allow us to learn with others  -  No one knows everything there is to know about students and how they learn. Personal learning networks allow us to continue our learning journey alongside other teachers who understand our issues and needs.


PLN”S help teachers to serve students – A PLN can offer opportunities to vent, reach out for support and also to trade ideas with other educators. A support network can sustain teachers as they strive to be the best they can be, leading students by setting good examples.

PLN’S facilitate access to dynamic resources – The internet has enabled teachers to utilise tools such as Twitter, Skype, Blogs and Wikis to stay in contact with any changes, new developments or tools that could impact on education. Being globally connected promises teachers access to a large group of like minded people who can share ideas and resources on a vast array of relevant topics.

PLN’S can extend our Learning Base – Twitter, blogs and wikis also offer teachers access to the opinions, suggestions and encouragement of other educators. It allows teachers to gain a more global picture of education by exposing us to different techniques, teaching methods and perceptions about education. Creating blogs and sharing our educational experiences in a blog, allows us to reflect on our teaching and learning and gives other teachers an opportunity to provide us with valuable feedback.

PLN’S can motivate teachers to  stay engaged in education – a personal learning network can support and assist teachers when they feel they need to be re-enthused about teaching. Personal learning network contributors are often alerted to the latest successful technology releases and these new technological releases can offer stimulating alternatives for learning that can excite both teachers and students. Educators can also support each other by listening, contributing to discussions and offering inspiration that can be diffused through to students. 
 
When I first saw the Stages of Personal Learning Network Adoption listed below I had to smile and then I became rather happily relieved. You see, I am currently recovering from Stage 3 PLN-itice (A new age malady – with many teacher sufferers). I realised that I had all the symptoms – I was spending hours sitting in front of the computer unable to disconnect, in fact I was spending nearly every waking minute and many possible sleeping moments  connected to the internet – locked away from all human contact. I also had this uncontrollable desire to want to learn everything right now! I was amazed and kind of reassured to discover that I was not the only person afflicted with this unusual and socially debilitating ailment. It seems that, for me at least, having a diagnosis is the first step to recovery. I think I am nearly ready to switch the computer off at an acceptable hour, sleep, visit my friends more often and generally find a balance between my work and personal life. I am looking forward to reaching Stage 5, the “Balance” stage of the disorder. At this juncture I should be able to accept that I can rely on my Personal Learning Network to help me with my learning and to store my knowledge and discoveries. I will know I am fully cured when I can tell myself, “I don’t need to know it all right now” - and this statement doesn’t lead me to break into a sweat!
Enjoy your Networking!



References

Schwelik, J. (2011). Cultivate your personal learning network - grow your knowledge building community - prepare for an abundant fall harvest. Ohio Media Spectrum, 63(1), 23-23-28. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/879073529?accountid=13380

sbg00sbg ( 2009). A thank you to my Personal Learning Network. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPImKgmlxYw&feature=related



Utecht (). Stages of Personal Learning Network Adoption
Retrieved on October 21, 2011 from Digital Learning Environments Website: http://www.guide2digitallearning.com/professional_development/stages_personal_learning_network_adoption












1 comment:

  1. I don’t know how, but I think I have ascended to level 5!

    It is extremely important to have a balance between learning and living. I think sometimes I am forced into my balance by other activities that I cannot escape!

    I love the idea of the PLN. This is extremely important for an educator. We have time limits – while it’s rewarding, interesting and satisfying to create learning experiences, I also love to see what other people are doing and try it out. Since becoming more involved with Facebook and Twitter, I am finding that I am digitally “meeting” people who provide links and tips for good teaching practice. I think it is fantastic that people share their work online for others to review and comment. Much like we should be teaching students, this digital act of networking provides opportunities for reflection, comment and adding to a continuous narrative.

    There are plenty of occasions where I am short on time and need to develop a scheme of lessons. By looking to my PLN, I have often found a fantastic solution, learned something new and saved a lot of time. As a teacher, this cannot be underestimated.

    Jimmy Cassidy

    ReplyDelete